As summer quickly approaches the last thing on your mind is layering clothes. However, when it comes to layering I find it best to look for lightweight fabrics that breath. It allows you to play around with your wardrobe. I put together some essential guidelines to follow:
1. Keep the layers light and airy, so you stay nice and fresh.
2. Wear lace bralettes under oversized off the shoulder shirts (As I did here in the pictures below).
3. Wear structured pieces over flowy long t-shirts or dresses if you want to show your body shape or go with the flowy summer look with a light fabric like satin over cotton.
4. Wear sheer tops over opaque tops.
5. Crop top under a button up is always an instant cool layered look.
6. Use accessories to create more dimension. Like waist belts and layered necklaces.
7. Wear sleeveless vest/jackets (denim/ utility).
8. Wear a light blazer with a top and denim skirt or shorts.
9. Wear shorter pieces over longer pieces.
10. Long loose shirts worn over skirts give the illusion of a layered dress.
HOW TO WEAR SUMMER LAYERS
1. KEEP IT LIGHT
For summer layering, I find it best to look for lightweight fabrics that breath. For example, kimonos, light knitted sweaters and cardigans, and blazers. Due to the nature of the fabric, you can easily scrunch or roll up the sleeves which is more sutable for a summer outfit.
2. IT’S ALL IN THE CAMI OR BARLETTE
I believe in investing in a few good camis, white tee’s or bralettes. Here, in the picture below I’m wearing the Free People Adella Longline Bralette from Nordstrom and I like that it’s incredibly soft, and it goes with everything! Oh not to mention it comes in multiple colors!
3. PAIR IT WITH SHORTS OR CROPPED DENIM
A good way to beat the heat, is by pairing your blazer with denim shorts, denim skirt or boyfriend jeans.